Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Heritage

After reading Alice Walker's short story, "Everyday Use", it made me stop and think about my heritage. I think that it is very important to embrace and appreciate your heritage, whatever why that may be. Dee, Maggie, and Mama had different views on what they thought honoring their heritage was. I am very proud to say that I come from a very loud Italian family. My grandmother on my father's side was born in Naples, Italy and moved to the United States when she was a young girl. Even though my grandmother did not live the majority of her live in Italy, there are still many customs that she brought back with her. First of all the food is absolutely amazing! Olive Garden does not have anything on my grandma! (: I think Italians in general are known for their food and the loud, cluttered family dinners, our family is no exception. We celebrate holidays like most people would, but usually with a little bit of Italian flare to it (most of the time that means that wine is involved, no complaining here). My grandmother takes a lot of pride in where she was born, and I believe that pride is passed on through our family. Reading Alice Walker's story gave me a nice reminder to appreciate where I come from. 

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I like your italian heritage, and I appreciate your love of your customs and cuisine.
    I see that nothing can replace your own heritage, it has a special taste and feeling that can be only found in it.

    ReplyDelete